Friday, July 6, 2007




Happy 4th of July!! This date also commemorates my freedom in Cambodia- now I am able to travel outside of my province and explore the different areas and see where volunteer projects take me around the country of Cambodia. As of now volunteering in my province has been busy enough and I am trying to immerse myself in projects, picking up good friends and valuable information as I go. The school year is over for now, so my teaching obligations are on hold until October, but the school still has many projects that are in motion. The main one I am working on now is setting up an English library in our highschool with hopes that the English students will be able to tap into the resources and take advantage of the many books that will be donated to the school over the summer. I am constantly learning how things operate here and it is necessary to take things step by step.


The month of July doesn't hold a lot of exciting events so far. I am in the capitol, Phnom Penh, for a part at the US Embassy where I have been told there will be hamburgers and hot dogs... I am not getting my hopes up but it is definitely worth the trip up here. July has been interesting in that Dengue fever is on the rise here and so far 3 of our volunteers have fallin to the "bone crushing" virus. The rainy season is starting so it is not surprising misquitos have been reproducing like crazy and reaking havoc on our skin.


3 comments:

Dad said...

Michael,

I'm glad you got your blog up and running. Another avenue of communication is always a good thing. I noticed that you like to talk alot when we call you. It is probably because you rarely speak english anymore. I was wondering, do you dream in Khmer? It is hard to get a word in edgewise when we call you but that is ok, I like to hear your voice, your thoughts, you. What is wrong with your teeth? Cavity? Good luck, I heard they use papiya juice as a anesthetic. You probably saw the ice-cave pictures I sent the other day. So cool. Mom is going to Spokane, Washington this weekend leaving tonight to watch Joe's last tournement. Just Zach & I at the homestead. Caulking the logs is the new project for the next week or two. Keeping old man winter out! Love, Dad.

Lauren said...

Michael,

What a cool blog. I guess I have never really gotten into blogging, but this is an awesome way to keep in contact with you. I am so sorry that I haven't written you since you have been there. I am a horrible cousin!!! Please forgive me. I love reading about everything that you are doing. I must admit, though, the emails about the food you have been eating and the jumping spiders freaked me out a bit, but I still liked knowing about everything you were experiencing. I just wanted to let you know that I am so proud of you. It is so amazing that you have the ambition to go to another country and really make a difference. I know that I would never have the courage to do it...and I am honored to know someone who does. Hope all is well and don't get any 'bone crushing' diseases please. Miss you.

Love, Lauren

Sheri said...

Hey Michael,
Happy Birthday. I hope you had a wonderful day. I loved your story about the cake traveling from Phnom Penh. Did you get a birthday cake of your own?
Your blog is quite cool. What a wonderful way to keep in touch and share your experiences with everyone. I have to tell you, I am not so technologically savvy, but through Lauren's assistance I am learning to navigate your blog fairly well. I guess you can teach an old dog...
Your pictures are so interesting ~ you look wonderful. Your intimate stories & adventures help paint the picture for all of us.
It's back to school for me tomorrow. You were talking about creating an English library for the students. If I can help in any way. I have a variety of fiction and nonfiction resources at the lower reading levels which the students may be interested in. If there are other items your school or class are in need of, speak up. We take so many things for granted in our educational environments.
I was curious as to whether the tape recorder has been a helpful tool for you or if the tapes are erased when passing through customs. It was so good to hear your voice the evening of the wedding. You sounded so full of energy and enthusiasm.
I admire you for what you are doing ~ making a difference in the lives of your students, their families and the community. Stay healthy and keep safe. Anxious to hear more about your fascinating journey.
Love ya,
Sheri